What is a temperature mapping study?
Temperature Mapping is the performance of temperature monitoring of a unit or area space to determine
if it can maintain temperature uniformity within defined limits. These types of services are usually done for Refrigerators, Freezers, Ultra Low Freezers, Cold Rooms, Warehouses, and Incubators etc. Sensors are strategically placed throughout the temperature controlled unit/room in pre-determined locations to confirm it performs specified temperature set points.
The temperature controlled unit/room area can be further challenged with additional tests such as empty mapping, product load mapping, door open/ closed, power failure recovery, mechanical failure etc. Which are all performed to demonstrate the unit works within pre-defined parameters and if adding a continuous monitoring system the position of temperature probe or probes.
These mappings can also be performed for other parameters such as humidity, pressure, airflow, etc.
Examples of common tests performed include:
WHAT ARE TYPICAL MAPPING TIME FRAMES?
The duration of a temperature mapping study should show the stability of the unit and identify any routine changes within the use, for example a defrost cycle. When mapping warehouses it is important to consider the movement of people, fans, doors opening/closing, and seasonal variations. These variations including changes in shift patterns or the week and weekend can extend time frames need for a proper mapping to be completed. It is also important to remember that the temperature distribution during seasonal changes and preform winter and summer mappings yearly.
PERFORMING THE MAPPING STUDY
SafePoint Scientific personnel are trained in the proper methodologies in which to perform your mapping study. Before any work is started, several steps are necessary so that we meet and exceed customer expectations.
- We will work with our customer before mapping begins to review their mapping equipment/ area requirements both regulatory and functional.
- A mapping study protocol is put together for customer review and approval.
- SafePoint personnel will execute protocol. Customer has the option to complete the protocol on their own.
- When complete we will review results and make recommendations based on mapping study with customer.
- Discuss when mapping may need to be performed again as part of any regulatory compliance or customer